The skirt was the easy difficult part of this costume. The easy part was making the skirt. The hard part was getting the skirt the color I needed it.
Let’s start with the hard part of this costume. I purchased regular dyes, in my haste to get this costume the color I needed and not making a trip into the city I bought regular dye. What I needed was polyester dye. But I tried the dye anyways and it worked a little bit. Not enough to make a difference. But it was no longer white, more tinted yellow gold. So I went back to my nearest store and looked at the various fabric dyes and paints when I came across Colorshot Cans by Tulip. I bought 3 cans thinking it was enough and then went back and bought four more.
Before I started the painting process I rolled the fabric onto an upholstery bolt. Laid out wrapping paper in my garage, it was still winter/spring and outside wasn’t the right conditions to be doing that sort of thing. With my paper laid out I set the bolt down and rolled out an appropriate amount to paint. I sprayed the can at the right distant away until it covered the area rolled out.
And then I waited a few hours before I came back and felt it. The fabric needed to be completely dry before I could roll that onto another bolt and roll more out. I continued this process for a couple of days and went over certain areas more than once to get that rich gold hue that I was after. It took six cans of Colorshot in gold to get this even.
My skirt is fairly easy. It’s just three rectangles. All the same widths and lengths. The innermost layer is a layer of Gold Shantung. 3 yards. Sewn together at the edge with enough of a space at the top for the waistband opening and then hemmed. The next layer is a Gold Organza treated the same way as the Shantung. The layer you see on top is the Gold Lace overlay. Not hemmed as there is a scalloped edge, but the scalloped edge was fray checked and cut on the edge to remove the extra netting. The side was hand sewn and machine sewn once the pearls were removed.
The waistband is Gold Shantung interfaced with a fusible woven. It overlaps on one side and gets pinned with a safety-pin. It’s still my go to method for waistbands. The skirt is pleated onto the waistband and all seams finished. Then the waistband is folded under and stitched in the ditch from the front.
Bonus piece is the hoop skirt I made to go underneath it. Very simple and easy. Not a proper hoop skirt like Cinderella, just something to keep the skirts away from my feet. It also creates some air flow if you wear it to a summer event. The skirt is essentially two rectangles. One for the waistband and one larger one for the skirt base. I cannot remember exactly the width I used or length as the original post was lost before I could post it. The waistband has a decorative stitch at the bottom, the same used on the hem of the skirt. I left the opening at the side seam at the bottom undisturbed so it is easy to remove the steel bone when it is time to wash it. The waistband for the hoop skirt is a drawstring.